Becoming an HCCU member is easy! A savings account begins your credit union membership. There are no membership or monthly maintenance fees; simply maintain a minimum balance of $25.00.
By opening this account with a $25.00 deposit, you are eligible to use all of our other products and services, as well as earn a return on your savings. Please click here to go directly to our membership page to find out how you can qualify to become a member.
- Quarterly Dividends Based on the Regular Share Savings Tier
- Quarterly Statements
- 12 Free Withdrawals per Calendar Year
- Free Online Banking and PAL Voice Response
- Payroll Deduction and Direct Deposit
- Membership-Sharing Privileges with Your Family
- Other Benefits Include: Free Coin Machines, Car Buying Services, & Identity Theft Services
Back To Top
Share Draft / Checking
We currently offer 5 different checking accounts to fit any of your financial needs!
All Accounts Include:
- Free Visa Check Card (Apply Today!)
- Free Online Banking & Bill Pay
- E-Statements, and E-Notices.
- Personal Access Voice Response Line (PAL).
- Dividends paid based on designated tier.
- No per check fee (excludes E-Checking)
- Overdraft Protection - optional
- Free ID Restoration through Deluxe Provent®
Classic Checking Account: Our most popular checking account.
A dividend is paid on the average daily balance of this account based on the Share Draft Tier, as long as minimum balance requirements are met. You also receive a FREE starter set of 20 checks when you open your account. There is a monthly service charge associated with this account if average daily balance minimums are not maintained.
Student Checking: Designed for all members age 22 and under
There is no monthly service charge associated with this account until the members’ 23rd birthday when the account becomes a Classic account. A dividend is paid on the average daily balance of this account based on the Share Draft Tier, as long as minimum balance requirements are met.
Gold Club Checking: Designed for all members age 50 and over.
A dividend is paid on the average daily balance of this account based on the Share Draft Tier, as long as minimum balance requirements are met. As a Gold Club member you receive one FREE box of checks per year, and 50% off all Money Orders & Paper Statements. There is a monthly service charge associated with this account if average daily balance minimums are not maintained.
E-Checking: Designed for those who prefer to do all their banking electronically.
There is no Monthly Service Charge associated with this account if you use any combination of ACH Payments, Direct Deposit, Payroll Deduction, ATMs, Home Banking, Bill Pay, Visa Debit and / or Credit Cards, and E-Statements. A dividend is paid on the average daily balance of this account based on the E-Checking Share Draft Tier, and no minimum balances are required. There will be a fee for each In-Branch Withdrawal and on any paper checks written on the account.
Fresh Start: For those who have had trouble managing their accounts in the past.
There is no minimum balance required, and a dividend is paid on the average daily balance of this account equal to Share Draft Tier 2. There is a Monthly Service Charge associated with this account, and a hold on funds may be required with prior charge off activity.
All fees and minimum balance requirements can be found on our fee disclosure statement.
To reorder checks through Deluxe please click here.
Checking Account Coach
This interactive guide coaches you in managing your checking account. Simply click on the home icon to get started!
Back To Top
GRU Student Checking
The GRU Student Checking account is a FREE Checking account designed specifically for students of Georgia Regents University to fit any of your financial needs! There is no age restriction on this account, as long as you are enrolled in classes at GRU you qualify.
As a GRU student, you are eligible to apply for the custom GRU Visa Check Card through HCCU. It makes everyday purchasing easy! The card works as an ATM card but offers added convenience of being able to use it virtually anywhere. Purchases are deducted from your checking account and receipts are given by the vendor for easy record keeping.
There are no fees or monthly service charges associated with this account until you graduate or are no longer enrolled at GRU when the account becomes a Classic account.
HCCU has 5 branches and 13 convenient ATM locations. 3 branches and 5 ATMs are on! the Georgia Regents University campus!
Student Checking and Savings accounts are also avalible for all GRU Student Organizations. If you are interested in an Organization Account please click here to downlaod a GRU Student Organization Account Starter Kit.
Back To Top
Mistakes happen. If you overdraw your account, we can help. Apply for an overdraft line of credit and avoid non-sufficient funds fees. Otherwise, for a small fee HCCU will automatically transfer funds from your savings to cover the expense.
For a copy of the fee schedule or to apply for an overdraft line of credit, please see a credit union representative.
Back To Top
Overdraft Privilege helps protect you against having your items returned in the event of an inadvertent overdraft of your account by giving you a reserve for emergencies or unexpected situations. There is no fee for having this privilege on your account; you are only charged if you overdraw your account. You do not have Overdraft Privilege on your account until you receive written confirmation from us that it has been added to your account.
Here is how Overdraft Privilege works for you. Overdraft Privilege is not a line of credit. However, if you overdraw your account, we have the discretion to pay the overdraft, subject to the limit of your Overdraft Privilege.
For example, suppose you do not have Overdraft Privilege and your account balance is $50. If you have a debit item for $100, HCCU will charge your account a fee (currently $35) for having an item with insufficient funds, and will then return the item if adequate funds aren’t available. In most cases, the establishment where you made the transaction will require you to pay for the item and will normally charge you a fee (usually around $30-$40) for writing an NSF item. This means that you have now incurred two fees ($35 at HCCU and $30 at the merchant) for an item that wasn’t even paid!
However, if you had $500 of Overdraft Privilege, here is how the situation typically would have worked. When the item arrived at HCCU, we would pay the item and charge you the $35 fee for an overdraft transaction. The total charge to you would have been $35 compared to $35 PLUS $30 in merchant fees if you had not had Overdraft Privilege. Additionally, you avoid being added to any bad check lists on the check approval networks or with the merchant.
When you use your Overdraft Privilege you must remember to subtract the overdraft fee from your account balance. In the example above you would have subtracted $135 from your account: $100 (the amount of the check) plus $35 (the amount of the overdraft fee). Any additional items that come in while your account has a negative balance will also be charged the NSF fee of $35 per item. It is important to record these fees. The next deposit that you make will bring your balance to the amount of the deposit minus the amount you were overdrawn (including any overdraft fees).
ATM machine receipts, and other ways in which you can get available balance information, will show only your ledger balance without the Overdraft Privilege included. However, you will be able to withdraw funds from the ATM and have transactions approved for ATM and debit card transactions, even though it will overdraw your account if you have given us prior consent. You must opt in to payment of overdrafts on these items on your consumer account. You will be charged the overdraft fee of $35 associated with these transactions.
What if I want Health Center Credit Union to authorize and pay overdrafts on my ATM and everyday debit card transactions?
If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts for which an Overdraft fee will be assessed on ATM and everyday debit card transactions, you may do one of the following:
- Call us at 706-434-1600, or
- Download the Opt-In Agreement and either
- present it at a branch
- mail it to: POB 2762 Evans, GA 30819
- fax it to 706-434-1625
- scan and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Understanding Uncollected Funds
- If you deposit to your account and are informed that a HOLD will be placed on some of the funds deposited, those funds are NOT available for you to withdraw until the date indicated on your notice.
- If an item is presented against held funds and you have Overdraft Privilege on your account, you will be charged a negative funds fee of $35 to pay the item even though you have a positive ledger balance in your account.
- For example: You have $100 in your checking account and deposit a $700 check on which we place a $500 hold ($200 is available to you immediately) for 5 days. Although you have a ledger balance of $800, only $300 is “available” for checks or other debits to be paid.
- If you have a $500 Overdraft Privilege in the example above, you have available to you $800 to pay debit items. However, you will be charged a $35 fee for any debits paid against your account in excess of the $300 shown above as “available”.
Points to Remember about Overdraft Privilege
- Every debit item on an overdrawn account will be charged an OD fee of $35.
- You must promptly repay the amount of the overdraft and any overdraft fees.
- Your Overdraft Privilege will not be included as part of your available balance at an ATM
- You must bring your account to a positive balance within 35 days or the Overdraft Privilege will be removed from your account.
- You do not have Overdraft Privilege until you receive a letter telling you that it has been put on your account.
- You must opt in to payment of overdrafts for ATM and everyday debit card transactions.
Overdraft Privilege Terms and Conditions
You must maintain your account in good standing, which includes at least:
- Continuing to make regular deposits to your account within each thirty-five (35) day period,
- Bringing your account balance to a positive balance within each thirty-five (35) day period;
- You are not in default on any loan or other obligation to HCCU; and
- You are not subject to any legal or administrative order or levy against your account with us.
Back To Top
VISA® Check Card
Apply today for the HCCU Visa Check Card to make everyday purchasing easy! The card works as an ATM card, but offers added convenience of being able to use it virtually anywhere. Purchases are deducted from your checking account and receipts are given by the vendor for easy record keeping.
Your monthly checking statement lists every transaction, or you can view your transactions 24 hours a day via Online Banking. Please allow 2-3 days for the transaction to post to your account.
Your HCCU Check Card may be used with no service charges at any HCCU or SRP Federal Credit Union ATM. If you use an out-of-network ATM, HCCU will not charge you a service fee, but you will be responsible for the fees posted on the ATM.
Other benefits include:
- Maximum protection. If your card is lost or stolen, Visa's zero liability policy protects you from paying for unauthorized purchases.
- Those with joint checking accounts can each have an HCCU Visa Check Card accessing that account.
- The money is deducted from your checking account within 2-3 business days.
- Perfect for traveling! Visa is accepted worldwide. Use your card to make purchases in other countries safely and easily.
Point of Sales (POS) fee of .50 cents will be charged if you select "debit" and enter your PIN at a merchant terminal. No fee will be charged if you select "credit" and sign for the purchase. The credit option provides our members with the charge back rights available through VISA. This fee does not apply to ATM withdrawals or E-Checking Accounts.
Back To Top
Certificate of Deposit
A CD is a safe, secure account that pays a higher rate of dividends than a savings account. Now, with only a $500 minimum deposit, you will receive HCCU's competitive dividend yields based on the CD terms (3 - 60 months) that's right for you!
Dividend earnings are paid quarterly and can be distributed several ways:
Please visit our Rates page for a list of our CD & IRA Rates*.
- Deposited back into the CD account
- Deposited into the primary or secondary account
- Check issued on request
We now offer a Youth CD to our members ages 17 and under. This is a great way to start learning how to save at a young age.
Advantages of a Youth CD Include:
* These rates are subject to change at any time without prior notice. After your certificate is opened, the dividend rate is fixed for the term. A penalty is imposed for early withdrawals. Fees could reduce the account earnings.
- $100 Minimum Opening Deposit
- Deposits will be accepted during the CD Term, which can also include Payroll Deduction Deposits
- Term of 12 months
- Automatic Renewal
- Same penalties as a regular CD apply
Back To Top
Individual Retirement Accounts (IRA)
It's never too early or late to start saving for retirement. An IRA is an excellent tool to optimize value and control of your financial future.
Both Traditional and Roth Individual Retirement Accounts are personal savings plans that allow you to keep more money for yourself and pay less to Uncle Sam.
Also, don't cash out, roll it over! If you leave your job or retire, and you have earned benefits in a qualified retirement plan, you can keep the tax-deferred status of the fund by rolling them over directly to into a traditional IRA.
If you want to save on taxes now, this is the plan for you. Traditional IRAs make sense if you want a tax deduction now or if you think you'll be in a lower tax bracket when you retire. This account is tax-deferred until the funds are withdrawn and contributions may be tax-deductible.
If you want to save on taxes when you retire, choose a Roth IRA. Roth IRAs are a good fit if you don't need the tax break now. If flexibility is what you need, consider a Roth IRA. A Roth IRA is a more flexible investment because:
1. You can withdraw regular contributions at any time, tax-free, and penalty-free.
2. You do not have to take mandatory distributions at age 70 1/2.
Funds rolled over into a traditional IRA can be converted into a Roth IRA. Staring in 2008, funds can be moved directly from a qualified retirement plan into a Roth IRA (subject to the normal rules for making an IRA conversion contribution).
Contact Us for rates and further details.
Back To Top
Get a jump start on saving for Christmas! Our Christmas Club account helps add to your Christmas cheer.
Earn money while saving for Christmas as this account pays you a dividend based on your Average Daily Balance equal to Regular Share Tier 2. You can make deposits at anytime to this account through payroll deduction, transfers or in-branch deposits.
In November, you will automatically receive the entire balance deposited into your Regular Share account just in time for the holiday shopping season. Early withdrawals are subject to a fee.
Back To Top
Saving for that big trip or a family vacation to the beach? You can put vacation dollars away as you see fit and withdraw the balance when vacation time comes around.
This account pays you a dividend based on your Average Daily Balance equal to Regular Share Tier 2. You can make deposits at anytime to this account through payroll deduction, transfers or in-branch deposits. You will receive one free withdrawal per year; any additional will be subject to a penalty.
Back To Top
Money Market Accounts are safe, secure and flexible accounts that earn a higher rate of return than a savings account. A $2,500 minimum opening deposit and minimum average daily balance of $2,500 is required to earn a dividend equal to the Money Market Share Tier 2. You will receive 12 free withdrawals per year, any additional are subject to fees and penalties.
You can also can make deposits through payroll deduction and direct deposit.
Back To Top
Important Information About Opening a New Account:
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account.
What this means for you:
When you open an account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and any other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also retain a copy of your driver's license number or other identifying objects.